Pain in the spine affects millions of people around the world every year. Chronic pain, severe discomfort and loss in working capacity are just some of the consequences of this type of joint problem.
You can avoid all such problems by taking steps to keep your spine healthy. In order to accomplish this task, all you need to do is to use your common sense and make smart adjustments to your lifestyle so as to protect your spine from undue stress or strain as well as giving it time to recover after a period of strenuous activity.
How to keep your spine healthy
1. Lift properly: It is really easy to hurt your spine while trying to lift something heavy. The bent position puts great strain on the spinal structure, thus increasing the risk of injury and pain. Whenever you want to lift something, consciously try to lift with the support of your legs. Keep your knees bent and make sure that both the arms are level with the object. If something feels too heavy, then avoid trying to lift it on your own.
2. Sleep carefully: While sleeping is necessary for your health, having an improper sleeping position can lead to pain in the spine. This is especially common among people who sleep on their chest. If you have this habit, just use a side pillow and rest your leg on it. This will prevent you from rolling over onto your chest.
3. Do stretching exercises: This will help keep the muscles and ligaments surrounding the spine strong and flexible, thus making it easier for the spine to bear the weight of the upper body. Stretching exercises which target the back also relieve muscular stress while simultaneously improving blood circulation.
4. Stay active: This is sadly becoming a serious problem nowadays, given that we are becoming used to a sedentary lifestyle. You must realize that the spine is simply not designed to remain in a fixed posture throughout the day. So make sure that you move around as much as possible if you get the opportunity. Even if you have a desk-centric job, you can get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour to allow your spine to recover.
5. Control your weight: Your spine has to bear the majority of the upper body weight. Carrying excess weight puts extra strain on the spinal column. Thus, it is common for obese persons to suffer from back pain. Find out what your proper weight should be, with respect to your age, sex and height. If you have excess weight, then you should try to lose the extra baggage with a combination of exercise and diet control.
6. Drink adequate water: The soft tissue in the spine depends on proper hydration to remain flexible. So drink plenty of water throughout the day. Carry a water bottle with you whenever possible.
7. Watch out for warning signs: If you feel pain or stiffness in the spinal region, then you should consult a doctor without delay. Ignoring such signs can allow the problem to become worse. Early treatment of spinal problems or back pain can help eradicate the symptoms and speed up recovery.
By Dr. Shabtab Khalid
Note: Through the synergistic combination of Classical Homoeopathy, Ayurvedic-Unani Formulations and Internationally Acclaimed Advanced Physiotherapy, Zilaxo Advanced Pain Solution aims to eradicate joint pain, counter the process of degeneration and promote bone health. The protocol is at once scientific, effective as well as safe. To avail treatment at Zilaxo, call on 1800 419 6607 (Toll free) or WhatsApp at +91 98304 26607.